Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Macaroni and Cheese with Garlicky Breadcrumbs


Neither of my children like mac and cheese. I feel like I am failing as a parents.  I was craving it so I decided to make it anyways and just made them spaghetti because sometimes mama just needs some mac and cheese! I adapted this recipe from Annie's Eats.

1 lbs pasta (I used mini rigatoni)
8 tbsp unsalted butter
5 tbsp flour
1 cups whole milk
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3 cups shredded gruyere cheese
2 cups shredded colby jack
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
cayenne pepper to taste

1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
5 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp garlic salt
pinch of pepper

Heat oven to 425.  Boil pasta according to directions and drain.  In a pot melt the butter then whisk in the flour. Let cook for 5 minutes while whisking.  Slowly add the milk, whisking and letting thicken as you add. Turn off the heat once the mixture begins to bubble. Add the cheeses 1 cup at a time while stirring continually.  Mix the pasta and the cheese sauce together then pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish.  In a bowl melt the 5 tbsp unsalted butter then stir in the breadcrumbs, garlic salt and pepper.  Sprinkle over the top of the mac and cheese then back for 10-14 minutes or until the breadcrumbs begin to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment